Sunday, September 7, 2008

New Home

Where do you even start when SO much has happened? I'm just going to jump to August 13th, when we finally found a home. We'd been searching for awhile, but couldn't quite find something that "fit". But, then we found it...a beautiful home in a great neighborhood. We love everyone at church and feel right at home. We've already gotten to know most of our neighbors and absolutely love them.

Two of our favorite features of our home:

The awesome playset for the kids!


And, the basketball court in the backyard for Enoch. Now, he doesn't have to make mid-day runs to the church to shoot some hoops when his brain shuts down while working. Keep in mind these are all pre-weeding. The house was vacant for 2 months before we got it, so it's still needing some help.


I've had so much fun trying to fill this house. We moved from a much smaller home in Reno and decided to leave most of our old furniture behind. We came with just 1 couch, a coffee table, the piano, the kitchen table and our beds. That's it. We assumed we would move into a house of comparable size or smaller, so we figured we didn't need much else anyway. Well, instead we got a bigger house and have been living with it half empty. Well, like I said above in the "I've been Tagged" blog, I started making a list of everything I would love to find for free for this house. Then, I started checking craigslist periodically. The two things I wanted the most were carpet for the basement and furniture for the family room. Well, last week, I found a couch for the family room. Mind you, most couches listed for free on craigslist really should be free. They're dirty, falling apart, etc. Well, I found a Broyhill couch that looked really nice. The problem was that it was listed a week prior, which generally means there's no way it's still available. But, I called on it and it was. The catch was it was really heavy and was on the 5th floor, with stairs as the only way to move it. Still, we went for it. Enoch moved it with a friend and said it was very light and very easy to move. Here's the crazy part....our family room has Terracotta colored walls and green carpet. I know, gross and really doesn't match. Well, they brought home this couch and it has a plaid pattern of terracotta and green. I couldn't believe it. It actually makes the room look like it was meant to match. Then, that same night I was checking craigslist for a chair to match. I found one that was supposedly sitting in an alley not too far from here. So, Enoch headed out at 11pm (aren't we pathetic?!?!) to get it. It was gone when he got there, but there on the dumpster was just enough great carpet to fill our basement. I told my brother about it the next day and told him I was adding more things to my "free" list. He asked me what I had up there now. I responded, "2 bar stools..." He quickly interrupted and said, "oh yeah, I meant to call you. I found 2 bar stools in our storage that we aren't using...do you want them?!?" I had to laugh. So, now I have bar stools, too. This morning I woke up and thought, "I sure would love a bedside table for my scriptures, phone, etc." I added it to my free list and tonight a family down the street put a bedside table out for free!! Crazy! I'm really having fun with this.

So, we're in our home, love it and can't wait for all of you to come visit!




2 comments:

The Burgoynes said...

Wow! So cool. Thanks for the update. I am so glad you guys are having a great time and are loving Denver.

kjha said...

Hey...hope you don't mind a comment from a cousin! Your move made me excited for our own coming up next week. Looks like you scored a great place!